Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kalbarri National Park, Western Australia

Kalbarri National Park is located approximately 500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia. The area is very scenic and I wish I had more time to see it and to do the walks.
When I arrived at the Ross Graham lookout it was overcast and when I got down into the gorge it started to rain intermittently. The gorge was very similar to Kings Canyon in colour and texture. With white gums and rocks and water it had a lot of potential and it was disappointing when it the rain got heavier and I had to seek shelter in the hire car.
The road to The Loop and Z-Bend was closed when I drove past and only opened the next afternoon. I could see why it was closed when I did get to drive on the road as it was muddy and quite slippery. At both sites I was restricted by time and weather. I would have loved to have been able to visit these places on the first day and then being prepared go there the next morning and do the walks. There is no food or water in these areas of the park and summer temperatures can get up to 50°C in summer in the gorges so planning is essential. I hope you like what images I managed to get.